Flash chromatography with detection and fractionation is now possible when purifying carbohydrates, steroids, lipids, terpenes and other UV-transparent compounds. The ELSD-A120 is the replacement to the popular ELSD-1080 universal detector designed for use with Isolera™ flash purification systems when purifying organic compounds that are undetectable with UV or visible light.
Organic compounds have different chemical and physical properties and they impact detection, even with an ELSD. Biotage® ELSD-A120 provides intelligent method design which enables the chemist to independently set nebulizer and evaporator temperatures for a particular compound or compound class. Independent temperature control helps ensure that all compounds are detected.
How Does ELSD Work?
Sample eluting from a flash cartridge enters the ELSD where it is mixed with compressed nitrogen to nebulizer the sample (creates small droplets). The nebulizer is heated and begins to evaporate the solvent and the nitrogen pushes the sample into a heating chamber where the remaining solvent is evaporated leaving small sample particles in the nitrogen stream. While migrating through the evaporator, light is shone perpendicular to the “sample flight path” and a sensor measures how much light is coming through. Loss of light transmission is proportional to the amount of compound. This information is then relayed to the Isolera where it is then collected.
Compounds eluting from a flash cartridge enter the ELSD-A120 where they are mixed with nitrogen to nebulize the sample components creating small droplets. The nebulizer is heated and begins to evaporate the solvent and the nitrogen carries the sample, the remaining solvent is evaporated leaving small sample particles in the nitrogen stream. While migrating through the evaporator, light is shone perpendicular to the “sample flight path” and a sensor measures how many particles are present and triggering fraction collection.
- Application Areas
- Natural Products
- Flexibility – high sensitivity provides superb responses for all compounds, able to detect virtually any compound
- Ambient operation – provides detection capability a range of compounds with operation from Ambient temperature up to 120 °C
- Reproducible - below 2% with reliable and accurate results
- Independent temperature controls – for both nebulizer and evaporator provides optimization capability for normal phase solvent systems
- Compact size – requires minimal bench space
- Compatible and portable – operates with other analytical HPLC systems