WHO WE ARE
Biotage is a global technology-based company that offers a broad range of instrumentation, consumable products, and technical expertise in the areas of Analytical Sample Preparation and Synthetic Organic Chemistry. Customers include research scientists at pharmaceutical and biotech companies, food and agriculture, personal care, fine chemical companies and scientists at major academic and government life science research centers.
We are seeking a Field Service Manager to lead and manage Biotage North America’s Field Service Team and function covering all of the United States and Canada. The Field Service Manager is responsible for ensuring timely, high quality execution and completion of all field service calls and the day-to-day management of the Field Service Team including personnel management, goal setting and talent development to ensure the success of the Service organization. This position is based in Charlotte, NC.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES / ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Direct and indirect management of approximately 12-15 Field Service Engineers geographically spread throughout North America.
- Management of Regional Service Manager that will lead and manage a regional subset of the Field Service team
- Accountable for ensuring timely, high quality execution and completion of all field service work orders.
- Accountable for ensuring 100% completion of all PM obligations within the contract period.
- Accountable for the consistency and predictability of field service execution.
- Accountable for ensuring a high level of customer satisfaction related to the preparation and execution of field service calls and the behavior of the individual engineers.
- Accountable for ensuring optimal workload balance and maximizing high utilization across the team.
- Continuous assessment of each FSE’s strengths and weaknesses and proactive development and execution of actionable plans to ensure optimal performance of each team member and constant improvement of overall team performance.
- Accountable for managing scheduling conflicts, setting priorities and ensuring the availability of adequate staffing within the field service team at all times.
- Accountable for effective cost management and ensuring performance is within budget and set targets.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining high level relationships with accounts including working with account management team structure to support Biotage Strategic Account Manager.
- Initial escalation owner for field service customers and FSE originated complaints.
- Provide high quality functional support to other departments (Inside Service, Finance/Admin, Sales, Marketing and Supply).
- Effective management of overall Trunk Stock and for producing high quality proposals/justification for adjustments and/or additional investment.
- Report monthly progress toward team goals and KPIs.
- Gather and provide input related to business risks, opportunities and the effectiveness of Biotage Service products and pricing.
- Provide functional management backup for the Service Operations Manager from time to time during PTO or other outages.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / EXPERIENCE / EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ability to successfully lead and manage a diverse and remote technical staff.
- Orientation to internal and external customer satisfaction.
- High-level knowledge on applications and instrumentation.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical individuals.
- Ability to effectively communicate well with customers, peers and colleagues, especially in difficult situations, in order to ensure team, company and customer success.
- Ability to effectively communicate business opportunities, challenges and proposals for change to colleagues, next level management and other high level executives.
- Ability to maintain organization and high quality of execution during periods of heavy workload and in rapidly changing and/or challenging situations.
- Ability to learn and troubleshoot/fix technical electro-mechanical instrumentation a strong plus.
- Language Ability: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Math Ability: Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software and Database software with a Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite of products, especially Excel.
- Bachelor's degree (BA/BS) from four-year College or university.
- 5+ years direct field service work preferred.
- 5+ years Field Service Management experience strongly preferred.
- Commercial experience within Sales and/or marketing preferred.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit and talk or hear.
- The employee is required to drive and maintain a valid Driver’s License.
- The employee must be able to endure the rigors and logistics of high frequency trips/travel for business. This position requires travel up to 60% including overnight stays; potential for occasional international and/or weekend travel.
- On average 2-3 days per week in the field traveling with Field Service engineers
- On average 2-3 nights per week away from home in hotels
- Office environment: the noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Field Service: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Biotage welcomes ideas and the changes they bring; we treat each other with dignity and respect. Come join our dedicated, friendly team and enjoy competitive wages and superb benefits.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume here.
Biotage is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable laws, directives, and regulations of Federal, State, and local governing bodies and agencies.