WHO WE ARE
Biotage is a global technology-based company that offers a broad range of instrumentation, consumable products, and technical expertise in the areas of Analytical Sample Preparation and Synthetic Organic Chemistry. Customers include research scientists at pharmaceutical and biotech companies, food and agriculture, personal care, fine chemical companies and scientists at major academic and government life science research centers.
We are seeking an Applications Chemist to develop methods to support sales of Biotage Analytical Products. This may involve developing the method in our lab located in Charlotte, North Carolina, or traveling to a customer site to help them develop and implement a method. This position also provides guidance and support for scientific collaborators and events which result in the use and publication of Biotage Analytical products in new markets and in new application areas. The North Carolina Applications lab works in coordination with our applications lab in Cardiff, UK. Sharing of data and frequent communication is expected.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Develop LC/MS and GC/MS methods with a variety of sample prep techniques employed in order to evaluate and recommend Biotage products suitable for the customer’s purpose.
- Manage Collaborations with academia and accounts to utilize our products in their projects. Define project, define support and then report results in a way that marketing can use to generate more sales and interest.
- Train customers, field reps and other co-workers on effective sample preparation techniques, as well as on the use of Biotage system platforms, including automated plate and cartridge processing systems, in our Charlotte lab and in their facilities.
- Travel with local reps and independent travel to customer accounts, supporting end-user evaluations and implementation of our solutions.
- Communicate with customers, field reps, and co-workers through phone, writing, and oral presentations, regarding applications work done by yourself as well as others.
- Take incoming calls on applications questions from 1-point or make follow-up calls for the reps as needed.
- Draft app notes, posters and details of experiments in a clear and complete manner, according to Biotage templates.
- Membership and participation in trade groups such as AACC, AOAC, etc., to network.
- Attend and represent Biotage at key tradeshows, working the booth, presenting results and answering technical questions.
- Evaluate potential products and provide input for new product development.
- Assist our service and inside sales representatives as needed to prepare for field support at events and demos, including locating and packing accessories and systems for Extrahera, and other analytical systems.
- Maintain group calendar with current and planned projects/presentations and updated schedules.
- May perform other duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / EXPERIENCE / EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or similar, plus a minimum of 2 years practical experience in analytical chemistry/chromatography, with significant experience in sample preparation techniques, particularly SPE or Liquid-Liquid Extraction, is required. Advanced degree is preferred.
- The applicant must have demonstrable customer focused experience and knowledge of current and future needs in a clinical lab, hospital lab, or other analytical laboratory, working with urine, plasma, or whole blood.
- The applicant must have experience with automation of sample prep and the workflow of an LC/MS and/or GC/MS assay.
- Analytical skills needed include strong knowledge of HPLC, GC, MS, and Sample prep. Must be able to develop a robust LC/MS or GC/MS method and report the results in a concise, clear and logical format. Knowledge of Sample prep lab automation equipment is preferred.
- Strong Chemistry background with experience processing biofluid (blood, urine, and oral fluid) samples in a hospital/clinical or commercial lab.
- Must have knowledge of customer workflow for markets including clinical (hospital, contract clinical testing lab, toxicology testing lab) and pharma (DMPK or Clinical Trial CRO). Knowledge of Forensic, food and chemical markets workflow will also benefit this position.
- Must understand sample prep chemistries and mechanisms including silica-based and polymer-based phases, in both 96-well plate processing and cartridge processing, with use of various equipment and applications.
- Must be able to prioritize work on a daily basis according to the needs of the Sales Manager and Regional Market Manager to support both short term and long term Commercial goals.
- Able to use PowerPoint, Word, and other programs to put results into posters and presentations, using Biotage templates.
- Must speak clearly (English) and be able to communicate findings effectively to both small and large groups in a professional manner.
- Must have a strong project driven work ethic and be able to occasionally work on weekends and evenings.
- Must be organized and have great attention to detail.
- Must regularly lift and/or move 25 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 80 pounds. Must be able to lift Biotage instruments from floor to lab bench.
- Must be able to stand for significant periods of time in a laboratory or tradeshow environment.
- Must be able to work with common lab chemicals and solvents.
- Must be able to travel on plane and by car in US, Canada and abroad.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, talk, hear, sit, use hands and fingers, reach with hands and arms, and handle. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, climb or balance and stoop, kneel or crouch.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Charlotte office-based position and small, well-furnished lab with appropriate instrumentation.
- Travel will vary as needed; 50% travel by air or driving is required. Mostly domestic, but some international travel may be necessary. Must be able to travel on weekends and work late when necessary.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Biotage welcomes ideas and the changes they bring; we treat each other with dignity and respect. Come join our dedicated, friendly team and enjoy competitive wages and superb benefits. Interested candidates click here to apply or go to the following URL:
Biotage is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable laws, directives, and regulations of Federal, State, and local governing bodies and agencies.